Deploy Enterprise-Class WPAN Communications
Cisco 500 Series Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) Industrial Routers (IR500) provides unlicensed 915 MHz industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) band WPAN communications. They help to enable a diverse set of Internet of Things (IoT) applications. These include smart metering, smart grid, distribution automation, supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), and street lighting.
Features and Capabilities
The IR500 series offers multiple platforms to help enable different use cases. These include:
Distribution Automation Gateway Platform- IR509
This provides enterprise class RF mesh connectivity to Ethernet and serial-enabled IoT devices such as recloser controls, cap bank controls, voltage regulator controls, and other remote terminal units (RTUs). These platforms are purpose built to withstand harsh environments, and are ideal for pad-mount and pole-mount cabinet installations.
Range Extender Platforms- IR529
These platforms provide range extension functionality to enhance the reliability of the RF mesh by adding multiple paths and battery backed-up nodes. They also enable RF mesh connectivity in case of low-end point density deployments. These platforms are purpose built to withstand harsh environments, and are ideal for pole-mount installations.
Key Hardware and Software Capabilities
Cisco IR500 routers offer rugged industrial hardware design and highly resilient solution architecture. This increases communications network uptime and grid availability to help ensure message delivery of critical traffic. Other features include:
- Standards-based integration of legacy assets for transport of IOT-specific protocols for graceful migration
- Comprehensive security capabilities based on open standards
- Enterprise-class network management and device management capabilities
- World-class networking technologies including IPv6, advanced routing, IP multicast, and quality of service (QoS)
The RF mesh solution adopts the following open-standards:
- IEEE 802.15.4 g/e
- IETF IPv6 over Low power WPAN (6LowPAN)
- IETF routing protocol for low-power and lossy networks (RPL)
- IETF Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)